Tongsheng TSDZ2 w/ XH-18 Display - Torque Sensing Pedal Assist with Throttle Mid Drive E-bike Conversion Kit
The TSDZ2 Mid Drive Motor - Torque Sensing Pedal Assist: The harder you pedal - the harder the motor works with you. 4 levels of assist provide smoothly integrated power ranging from +36-300%, allowing you to conquer virtually any hill with ease. These kits retrofit most bicycles by replacing the bottom bracket & crankset assembly - to utilize the existing drivetrain & gears for maximum efficiency.
The XH-18 Display - Left Handlebar Mount Half Twist Action: The XH-18 Display Mounts on the left side of your handlebar, featuring a spring loaded half twist mechanism to cycle between the 4 levels of assist.
Throttle Model - w/ Display Cable Splitter: Included with this model is an 8 to 6 pin splitter cable that allows use of a throttle with the XH-18 display.
|36v||500w||15a||90 RPM||80 N.m||20mph+|
|48v||750w||18a||90 RPM||100 N.m||28mph|
|48v O/D||750w||18a||110 RPM||90 N.m||28mph|
|52v||750w||17a||100 RPM||100 N.m||28mph|
|52v O/D||750w||17a||120 RPM||90 N.m||28mph|
- Assisted Speeds up to 20mph / 28mph (motor does not provide assist past programmed limit on model, 28mph being the maximum value - while you can set the motor speed limit higher on the 36v models, we recommend the more powerful 48v or 52v model for speeds up to 28mph)
- Power Assist Ratio: 36%~300% (with 4 levels of torque sensitivity-to-power-output to choose from)
- Maximum Torque: 80/90/100 N.m
- Pedal Cadence Assist: 90/100/110/120 RPM
- XH-18 Left Handlebar Mount Half Twist Action Display (Compact, Color Screen, Half Twist +/- Mechanism)
- Throttle (the throttle is governed and will not put out as much power as the assist function - this is to increase longevity and reliability of the motor)
- Speed Sensor w/ Spoke Magnet (speed sensor attaches to the chainstay, and the magnet attaches to a wheel spoke)
- Includes Light Cables controlled by the Display (for optional 6v 0.5-1a Front & Rear Lights ~ controlled from a button on the display)
- Mid Drive Utilizes the Drive Train Gearing (for increased efficiency & optimal hill climbing ability)
- Integrated 8 pin Controller (for better protection and less wiring clutter)
- Easy Installation (The TSDZ2 Mid Drive Kits fit 95% of bikes with threaded JIS/BSA bottom brackets)
- Small & Lightweight: 8 lbs / 3.6 kg
The stock kit includes a right thumb throttle, but you can make it fit on the left in some setups. You can also upgrade to a different throttle style upon request.
The TSDZ2 Mid Drive Kits are designed to fit bikes with threaded JIS/BSA bottom brackets. This means a 68mm (2.68 in.) to 73mm (2.87 in.) wide bottom bracket shell (unless you have the 100mm TSDZ2 model, then 100mm is the desired measurement) and 35mm (1.37 in.) inside diameter. Known as JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard, which is very similar to our standard here in the US commonly referred to as "square tapered spindle", ISO/English, BSA, British, or "threaded". More than 95% of bikes with the correct measurement bottom bracket will work without a problem, but keep in mind, after 2012, a lot of higher end and full suspension bikes started utilizing other types of bottom brackets. PF30, BB30, and Shimano Press Fit 41 BB92 do have adapters on the market to make this motor compatible, but other style bottom brackets not mentioned are incompatible without custom machining.
To prepare, you need to have a compatible bare bottom bracket shell. If you are doing a conversion with an existing bicycle, you will have to first unhook the chain from your current chain ring, and uninstall and remove the complete bottom bracket assembly from your bicycle. For the XH-18 Display, you will also need to remove your left grip, and possibly more depending on the order of your cockpit setup. Once you are prepped for the install, the steps are as follows:
- Insert the TSDZ2 axle through the bottom bracket shell of your bicycle, and on the protruding side, slide the TSDZ2 mounting plate over the axle, then secure to the motor housing with the included bolts. If you have a 68mm bottom bracket, use the two included 5mm spacers, if you have a 73mm bottom bracket, you do not need the spacers. Fasten the included TSDZ2 lock ring over the axle, and tighten firmly with the included tongsheng wrench. Now, re-tighten the mounting plate bolts. Keep in mind, if this is a conversion, when putting your chain back on, you may need to add or take off some chain links for proper tension depending on the size of your old chain ring.
- Slide the XH-18 Display over your bicycles left handlebar and tighten down the hardware, be sure to install the twin gasket rings so it is free to twist independently of your left grip.
- Connect the XH-18 6 pin cable to the corresponding plug on the splitter cable, and connect the other two ends of cable to the throttle and the motor. Then connect the power cables from the motor to your battery's discharge cables, and connect the TSDZ2 Speed Sensor cable to the corresponding plug on the motor as well. Take care not to bend the pins when connecting these.
- Fasten the Speed Sensor to your bicycle's chain stay with zip ties and secure the Spoke Magnet to your spokes. Ensure that the magnet lines up with the sensor arrow, and that there is a little gap in between them as well. The sensor is very sensitive, and will scramble the reading if the magnet is too close when it spins. Start with a bigger gap, and then bring it closer until you get a solid reading, looking for a final gap of around 1/2" or 12mm. You can also cover up the sensor with a chain stay cover, to additionally hide and protect it, and this will not inhibit the reading, or perhaps you may just have to move it a tad closer if anything.
- Connect the front/rear light cable to the 'Y' adapter on the speed sensor cable, and run the cables to the front/rear accordingly. Wire them to your lights however you choose.
- Power on your display/motor, ensure your speed sensor, lights and motor functions are operating correctly. Adjust your settings from the display as needed.
* Note - While TSDZ2 will function without the speed sensor or lights connected, it is highly recommended that you install them as is required by law in some areas.